Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Habit Forming

Habits form in many ways. Most are subconcious. Some can be forced. Seeing some co-workers running during lunch hour for many months, I decided to give it a go. My initial hesitation rested on being able to get it all done within 60 minutes and also take a bite for lunch. Well, after several trial and error, I have it down. 5 minutes to change, 35 minutes to run 4.3 miles, 5 minutes to shower, 5 minutes to change back and finally 10 minutes to eat a sandwhich. 60 minutes.

Initially, it was too much of a hassle to get this all done. Now however, it is anticipated. I look forward to it. It also makes the day go by faster. And because lunch hour happens everday, habit forming. I also find that the afternoons go by faster and I feel so much more relaxed both mentally and physically. Since I gave myself Friday off, I am able to bank 17 miles for the week at work. I don't see a downside yet. let me know if you do.

I am alternating 1160's and 760's. So far so good. I now like both pairs. I seem to have finally adapted to running on slightly lower heeled running shoes. Amazing how your body is able to adapt to differing situations. I am still suffering from shin pain, especially on my right leg but daily icing sessions at night seems to be keeping it under control. Next 2 weeks will tell the whole story as I am scheduled for an 18 and 20 milers respectively. If all goes well, one of these shoes will become my weapon of choice for the Houston Marathon.

1 comment:

Aggiegrad96 said...

I do enjoy the mid-day workouts...although I'm slower, so 4 miles is about the max I can fit in.