Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Running as a Role Model

How do you know your running is rubbing off someone else?

While speaking to my Mom in Chicago yesterday (as it was my birthday and all) she casually mentioned that my older brother went and ran a 5K race on Sunday as part of Chicago's annual Korean Fest. So the Jon Walk in me went and checked out how he did. 28:52. Not too shabby for a first timer. He's 3 years older than me and he never commented once on my running despite my trips to Chicago to run the half marathon and my heat stroked Chicago Marathon a few years ago. I might have to put it on the calendar to go run this 5K with him next year.

How do you know whether your actions make significant impressions on your kids?

My daughter has joined the College Park Cross Country team. Since late June, she's been getting up at 5:30 AM to go to College Park to train. Allison is a night owl so I know how hard getting up that early is. She has some talent and speed so hopefully, she can make first team. We'll see. My son suffers from Asthma and allergies and has been in treatment for a few years. He asked to help him survive Cross Country at Knox this coming Fall and has been running with me since early summer. He can run - walk 4 miles quite easily now. He's probably going to be one of the slowest guys but I admire his dedication. When I was his age, I don't think I'd have dared to do anything like that.

I've never asked them to run. Such is life.

2 comments:

K said...

I know that your running inspires me and I don't live with you! You have some very lucky kids!

WalkSports.com said...

You know, I still admire Waverly for going out for cross country her 7th grade year. Not because it was running, it was just watching her stretch and push herself. It is one of the many times that I am simply in awe of her.

Thank you for sharing about your kids!