Thursday, February 19, 2009

Transitioning

Last TIR taught me to run in the dark.  Before that event, I rarely ran at night.  Darkness was not a comfortable place to be.  But night running has it's own benefits.  There are less distractions so you tend to concentrate on your form and breathing.  There is also comfort in the darkness.   OK, now I'm contradicting myself.  So anyway, Before TIR = no night running, After TIR = night running.  I'd like to thank Jay Hilscher for that discovery.

There are many things I am grateful for in my life.  At this very moment, I am grateful that I am not running the last leg.  It was a great honor and privilege to run the last leg last year.  The feeling of finally finishing the event after 30 odd hours is pretty cool.  You see the monument get closer and closer (although it seemed to taunted me during the entire last leg).  However, the pressure not to fail or slow down is pretty intense.  At this point on the journey, your stamina is shot, you are sleep deprived, haven't eaten properly, haven't slept much, is stinky, is crabby and overdosed on Red Bull.  You feel the surge of euphoria and energy at the on set of the last leg only to crash and burn about mile or two into the run.  I remember calling out for a gel as my van cheered me on for the last time.  What fun memories.

What has any of this got to do with tonight's run?  Not much except that I enjoyed tonight's night run.

M1:  9:08
M2:  9:01
M3:  9:04
M4:  9:08
0.12:  0:59

Distance:  4.12
Pace:  9:05
Shoes:  Asics Gel-Kayano 14 (34.6 miles)

No comments: