I signed up for geezer soccer league last week and went to my first practice last night. Because our team was short of over 35 players, we had to add some younglings and join the under 35 league. We expect to get slaughtered, maybe. Here are some mental notes I took.
1. Don't go running before a soccer scrimmage, no matter how fit you think you are.
2. Long distance running typically goes in linear fashion.
3. Stops, cuts, side running, back pedalling, jumping, running, running while looking up, and generally a lot of sprinting are good core exercises for running.
4. Soccer is good speed work.
5. Cleats make you turn much faster than most 42 year old's joints can handle.
6. This will manifest itself the following morning.
7. Aleve is my best friend.
8. Let's see, this is the first time I've played organized soccer since playing intra-murals at college and that was like 20 years ago.
I'm experiencing Garmin withdrawal symptoms. How the heck am I suppose to run LSD this weekend?