Friday, May 09, 2008

No Pain, No Pain

One unifying theme in these running blogs; pain. Why? Because distance running, no matter your speed is all about pushing the outer limits of your physical self. What resides at the outer limits? Pain. I never seem to get the same pain twice. On my way up to Chicago this week, I picked up the latest Runner's World and there was a timely article on shin splints. Hah! It was talking to me. But not having run since last Sunday with the extraordinary Mr. Cook himself for about 13 miles, I wanted to go out and shake off some cobwebs.

Distance: 4.61 miles
Time: 42 min 45 secs
Pace: 9:16 min/miles
Shoes: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 7 (112.72)
Weight: 171 lbs.
Calories burned: 578.9 kcal

Mile 1: 9:25
Mile 2: 9:03
Mile 3: 9:14
Mile 4: 9:36
0.62: 5:26

Stiff. Took a while to shake off the stiffness and general heaviness. I'm sure eating bad foods in Chicago had something to do with it. Never the less, the contentment that comes right after running and sweating is hard to beat. It must be the sense of accomplishment.

1 comment:

Katy said...

I thought of you when I got my magazine in the mail. I think I actually said "Hah!"

Hope you're on the mend!