Saturday, April 12, 2008

Another RTW 5K P.R!

Stayin' Aliiiiiiiiiive!! O.K. I broke down and bought some Bee Gees tunes from Amazon MP3 store. As I approach the apex of my mid-life crisis/celebration I keep regressing my music selection to that disco era, or what I call my own wonder years. Actually, my MP3 player is a hodge podge of confusion, from ABBA, Lennon, Bee Gees to David Lee Roth, Queen, Black Eyed Peas, Fergie, U2, B52's to Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Simon & Garfunkel to Beethoven, Vivaldi, Mendelssohn, Mozart to Beach boys, Phil Collins etc. No rhyme or reason. But right now, I'm "Stayin' Alive.."

I racked another P.R. today. Ran the 5K at 24:01, which translates into a 38 second improvement from the last best time. This means I ran it at 7:45 pace which is stupendously cool. So my immediate reaction after crossing the finish line was, "I missed breaking 24 minutes by 2 seconds.." Since the TIR, I broke a mental barrier about running daily. B.T. (Before TIR) I would always rest the day before a race. Heck, I'd always run with a rest day in between. A.T. (after TIR), I just let my legs decide if I can run or not. So, there has been a lot of consecutive running days. With that new philosophy, I ran 4 miles last night during my son's Tae Kwon Do class. Despite that, or because of that, I ran pretty well this morning.

The weather cooperated as well. Perfect P.R. weather, in the 50's with low humidity. One must take advantage of that.

Mile 1: 7:20
Mile 2: 7:50
Mile 3: 8:02
0.1: 0:47

Once again, my strategy was to go out as fast as I could and hold on for dear life. Dumb, but a strategy none the less.

5 comments:

equarles said...

sweeeet!

K said...

awesome! You are on fire Holden! Check out the new Journey. They have a new lead sing that I swear is Steve Perry... A filipino guy... very cool!

Adrienne said...

Awesome!! Is it the tunes?

Katy said...

WooHoo Holden!!! I wish I had been there!

Were you doing the Travolta strut while you ran???

Sarah said...

Awesome Holden!