Monday, April 14, 2008

Amazon MP3


This is becoming my favorite music download site. Amazon uses MP3 VBR codec at an average of 256 Kbps. iTunes uses AAC at 128 Kbps which is allows their files to be twice as small as Amazon's. In theory, the bigger bit rate file for the same song yields a richer sounding music. However, in theory, there are differences between the codec's and some claim AAC's 128 Kbps sounds just as good as MP3 at 256Kbps. I don't own a $300 ear phones and have an audiophile's ear to tell the nuances between various codec's so it all sounds decent to me. As for the larger file size, I don't think that's a big deal as memory prices keep falling. Can you honestly fill an 80 GB iPod Classic full of music? If you worked at a radio station maybe. I'm depressed to declare that my 8GB Sansa e280 has less than 5 GB of music.
After only being around for 6 months, amazon MP3 has become the second largest on-line music download site after iPod. (read news here)Best of all, all of amazon's music is DRM free so you can do whatever you want with it, legally.
Can you tell that I don't have much running stuff to blog about today?

No comments: