Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Pinkie Told Me It Was 40 deg F

Yes, it's true. After all the cold running I've done this winter, I can tell when the temperature hovers in the low 40's/upper 30's. My hands tell me. It was hard enough getting out of bed and into my running gear that by the time I realized it was colder than I anticipated, I didn't want to go back into the dark house and rummage for my gloves. I tried my best to warm up by going faster and faster. The torso felt fine after about a mile but the hands and the thighs never really warmed up. Now that I look at the numbers below, it turned out to be a pretty good negative splitting. My hands hurt in the shower but never the less, I just thoroughly enjoy a hot long shower after a cold run. Today was no exception.

Mile 1: 9:23
Mile 2: 9:10
Mile 3: 8:47
Mile 4: 8:26
0.16: 1:18

Distance: 4.16 miles
Time: 37 min 05 secs
Pace: 8:55 min/miles
Shoes: Asics Kayano XIII (222.14)
Weight: 174 lbs.
Calories burned: 530.8 kcal (858.8 kcal/hr)

2 comments:

bar-bar-a said...

I went to get a new pair of Kayanos yesterday, and they gave me (well, they *sold* me) another pair of 13's. Have you tried the 14's yet?

I cannot run in cold weather without gloves and something on my ears.

Holden said...

Hi Bar Bar,

No, I haven't tried the 14's yet. From the reviews I've been reading,the 14 seems to be an improvement over the 13. For me, the 13's haven't given me any problem so I don't mind buying another pair of 13's next time.

My ears must have become desensitized to the cold weather after living in Chicago for 21 years but my hands, they get cold. I wore gloves in Chicago from Thanksgiving through Easter. So the ears didn't bother me but the hands were cold all the way. Brrrr.