Sunday, October 28, 2007

2007 Houston Half Marathon

Houston Striders know how to organize a road race. They are always so well organized. Here's a shout out to Steve Shepard and crew. Great job y'all!

51 degrees greeted me this morning. I seem to perform the best when the temp is in the 50's. It never feels too hot or cold. A sleeveless tech shirt and tech shorts is all you need. You don't even need to drink too much water/Gatorade. Despite the favorable weather, I only got to run an average race. I think I missed breaking 2 hour mark. (Still waiting for official race time as I forgot to turn on the stop watch at the start) Just didn't push hard enough. I could tell right away when the race was over, my ending heart rate was only 150. That is just normal running exertion. Oh well.

Mile 1: Forgot to start the stopwatch
Mile 2: 9:09
Mile 3: 9:00
Mile 4: 8:58
Mile 5: 8:49
Mile 6: 9:08
Mile 7: 9:03
Mile 8: 9:10
Mile 9: 9:19
Mile 10: 9:24
Mile 11: 9:29
Mile 12: 9:21
Mile 13: 9:31
Mile 13.1: 0:54

Total: 1:51:20 plus Mile 1 = 2 hours and 1 minute?

I started to fade somewhere after mile 8. Hmm, was that possibly because I was distracted by a really pretty time caller at mile 8? Or was it because the lady with a bullhorn who's name comes after May forgot my name?!?! (Apparently, this was not June. Sorry! - HC)

Saw a lot of familiar faces today. Steeeve Shepard at the relay exchange, Vic Kaiser on the course, Jamoosh with his St. Arnold singlet at the finish area (I think he passed me around mile 9), Pony Peterson, Coach Dwyer, Steve Bezner, Sarah Graybeal (from far away), Joe Carey, Humble Runner, Felix Lugo with a bullhorn, Beth Whitehead, the Woodlands Fit Coach, Jennifer Kim in the back seat of a Houston Police Cruiser (Lead Pace Vehicle) and many others I'm not able to remember at this moment. All that gives this a home town race feel.

I wasn't able to hang around after the race so regrettably, I was gone after eating that delicious lettuce wrap in the finish area. We all got a pretty cool looking medal.

Again, one great road race, here in Houston. Try it out next year, you won't be disappointed.

Next Race: HMSA 25K

11 comments:

Tiggs said...

Manny saw you, but I didn't!! I concur that it was a good race- well organized and a pretty medal :)

Steeeve said...

Cassie, pretty medal, oh you betcha, and you've made a lot of people very happy by noting that :-)

Holden, thanks for the shout out but not deserved. It would be the lovely and talented Baaaarb who makes the race go.

Speaking of going, good going by Holden! Nice race for you; I was holding my breath a bit seeing how you'd recover from Chicago.

jamoosh said...

Good run dude. Great seeing you motor toward the finish!

Sarah said...

Nice run Holden! You're the second person who's said they saw me but I didn't see them. Dunno how I missed everybody, but ah well, I'll catch you next time.

K said...

Great Run, Holden!

JustJunebug said...

I know you arent talking about me because I didnt have a bullhorn, and i was nowhere near mile 8 at any point!

i did see you briefly as you came by after the first loop, but never saw you again as i had to dash off!

Holden said...

Ooops, I think I made a mistake June. I thought I saw you at the water station right after the relay point but apparently, it was someone else. SORRY!

jen said...

Wow, great run, Holden!

Thanks for adding that I was in the lead pace vehicle and not on my way to central booking. ;)

Congrats again!

TX Runner Girl said...

Great job Holden!!

TX Runner Girl said...

LOL, I just saw that comment about mile 8. LOL!

Holden said...

Christy - just checking to see if you were paying attention :)