Sunday, August 26, 2007

Chicago Distance Classic 2007

This Summer's half marathon came up at a bad time for me. I was still suffering from upper respiratory problems when this race came due. Not wanting to miss an opportunity to run though down town Chicago I ran it, coughing and hacking part of the way. The good news is, I enjoyed this run. Meandering through the downtown streets during the first few miles and then running by the brilliant blue lake shore with the skyline in the back ground was extremely breath taking. Sure it was hot, but if your motivation is to site see on your own feet, this race is probably much better than the main event, the Chicago Marathon in October.

Mile 1: 8:58
Mile 2: 9:13
Mile 3: 9:13
Mile 4: 9:29
Mile 5: 9:27
Mile 6: 9:22
Mile 7: 10:01
Mile 8: 9:53
Mile 9: 10:15
Mile 10: 9:45
Mile 11: 10:29
Mile 12: 10:06
Mile 13: 10:37
0.1: 1:04

Total: 2:07:58
Pace: 9:46/mile

Official Chip Time: 2:08:01

This was no where close to my Official Chip Time P.R. of 1:56:32 (8:54/mile pace) established at last year's San Antonio Half Marathon but that was under perfect weather conditions and this was not.

Reading bunch of posts from last fall, I have realized that groups such as the Woodlands Fit does help make you a better runner. In hindsight, I believe I was fittest and fasted when I trained with them last year.

Running this Half has exacerbated my condition. I am sicker now that I was on August 12th. I have forsaken all running activity since then, hoping to become cured from my Summer cold. I think I'm making progress, but it seems very slow. Desperation is now seeping in. It has been 2 whole weeks since my last run. As I wait, date for the Chicago Marathon marches ever so closer. When will I be able to fit in a 15 miler? 18 miler? I don't know. The Marathon that was to be a smashing P.R. is slowly morphing into a race of survival.

Looking back now, I marvel at my fitness level. Despite suffereing from a cold, I was able to maintain a sub 10 mile pace. To think that I could not even run 3 miles under the best of physical conditions prior to me taking up running is indeed a miracle.

3 comments:

Dave Smart said...

Get well soon! I'm glad to see some many positives in your running. The speed bumps that get in the way can really be trying. I'm not sure what I'll do if I catch a bad cold or flu between now and Houston, as I am depending on a 20 week training plan that starts Monday, but will make the best of if like you are.

jen said...

Hey Holden - congrats on a great race! Wow, sub 10!! Hope you feel better soon - rest, rest and lots of jook!

Jen :)

jamoosh said...

So glad you took some positives away from the half. Be good to yourself and get over this nagging cold once and for all.