Saturday, June 09, 2007

RTW 5K

Another death defying act brought to you by yours truly.

I'm glad I discovered RTW racing when I did. It was my first certified race and it was where I picked up my running bug. Usually it is a low key affair. Today was an exception as the 7 Hills running club came down to challenge the Woodlands running club to a 5K race. The Woodlands club won.

But anyway, recently I've been training to lower my pace to Barbara Boone's pace, and wanted to see how much faster I've become. So RTW 5K in this blistering heat was it.

Mile 1: 7:49
Mile 2: 8:27
Mile 3: 8:56
0.1: 0:46

Total: 26:00:23
Pace: 8:23/mile

Today's race strategy was to go out as fast as I can and hold on. (Stupid is as stupid does) I was really close to hyperventilating after the first mile. This just shows that I need to further boost my aerobic capacity if I want to drop my times to the 25 minute range again.

So why do I run as fast as I can on a hot and humid Houston summer morning? A question I get asked frequently by my non-running friends and family from up North. I'm not sure myself, but I know I can so I run.

Have a great rest of Saturday! I'll be spreading 4 yards of mulch.

1 comment:

barbara said...

Barbara's recent fastest 5k was 25:30 in case you're looking for something to shoot for.

She spent the past 8 days at WDW where there was lots of running from ride to ride....