Thursday, June 14, 2007

5 AM

Another ho-hum run. I think even the mosquitoes are still asleep at this hour.
................................................................................................................................
I just spilled some Shiner Bock on the carpet. I cleaned it best I could. Hope the wife unit doesn't notice.

Anyway, back to running. At that hour, only slightly strange people roam the streets. There are runner who I come across. Sometimes, these folks scare the crap out of me. Running in woodsy area in the dark does not give you ample warning that someone is approaching. When they come across you, they seem to pop right out of darkness...... I suppose that might be good for aerobic conditioning since your heart beats like crazy when this happens.

Other than runners, you come across workaholics driving out of their driveways who claim they are "trying" to beat traffic into work when in reality, they just wanted to get to their work at 5:30 AM and get a head start on everyone. Trouble is, these workaholics are also at work until 8 PM at night because the rationale is, why wait until tomorrow what you can do tonight?

Boy am I tired. I'm practically falling asleep typing this. This whole entry is becoming quite irrational.

Once again, I had trouble staying awake. I think I sleep ran the first mile.

Mile 1: 9:44
Mile 2: 8:50
Mile 3: 8:17
0.1: 0:40 (wide awake now, sprinted home)

Time: 27:32
Pace: 8:53/mile
Shoes: Kayano XII (167.8 miles)

3 comments:

TX Runner Girl said...

You're not drink beer at 5am are you? :-)

Tiggs said...

LOL that was my question! Beer at 5AM????

Dave Smart said...

We'll assume the beer coincided your posting a few hours later in the evening. A suggestion for the fatigue: the last couple of days I've had some post run "Kenyan tea" to pep me up- 1 cup boiled water, add tea bag, steep then pour into large cup containing 1/2 cup sugar-sweetened milk; it's an approximation of what the elite Kenyans actually drink but still seems to rejuvenate me some.