Monday, January 08, 2007

Starting My 3rd Year of Living Healthy

As I mentally prepare for my second Houston Marathon, I realize the anxiety I felt last year is gone. The nervous feeling of whether I'll be able to finish the race or go home in disgrace is absent. I also remember hanging onto every tidbit of advice Steeeve typed into the cyberspace as if my life depended on it. Come to think of it, I think it did. A few days before the race, I felt it. Every free moment was consumed with infinite variations of "what if's" and how to counter them. The trouble with marathon training is that so much time and effort has been put into it that the need to finish the race becomes an obsession. This is especially true on the first one since you have never finished one before.

My blood pressure this morning was: 115/74, with a pulse of 57. Thanks to running, I have become a healthy 40 year old. I don't think I'm so radical in my lifestyle yet to many of my friends and acquaintances,I am an exercises freak who's willing to punish my body beyond reason and run insanely long distances. Ahhhh, to be misunderstood. Perhaps a sure sign of being a genius...or a freak.

Enough of this beer induces rambling. Perhaps one too many Honey Weiss beer from Chippewa Falls, WI. tonight.

Since returning home, I've only run four 5K distances with an average pace of 8:30 per mile. I seem to have lost some speed. As hard as I try, I don't have it in me to run 8 minute miles any more. Perhaps this is because I have not done any speed work since Thanksgiving. Perhaps, perhaps. At this time, I'm hoping that I still have the stamina to complete the marathon in 10 minute pace. That would be cool. My parents are flying down this coming Thursday. Marathon was not on their minds when they booked the tickets. Regardless, they will have the opportunity to see their son finish one. I just hope the weather cooperates.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What fun that your parents will get to see you race! 4:22 would be a great result and a huge PR for you, best of luck!

Steeeve

bar-bar-a said...

Good job on the blood pressure! Whenever I go to the doctor's and they check my resting pulse rate, that's usually the first thing they ask me - do I run. So I guess it's good for something.

That's too cool about your parents being here for the weekend! I'm definitely not asking my family to sit out there in that cold weather - those are some real heroes that stand there to watch all the runners go by.

Vic said...

You speek the truth abotu becoming an obsession in teh last week here.

You're an inspiration, Holden. See you in 5 days.

Christy said...

Way to go on your healthy lifestyle Holden! You'll do great this weekend!