Saturday, December 09, 2006

Sunmart 50K

Dear Readers,

I'm writing to you from heaven or maybe it's purgatory. Just so you know, there is no hydration issues, no hitting the wall and best of all, no injuries up here. You still have to work hard to get a P.R. though. I got here in a very circuitous way.

I decided to go to Huntsville this morning to "return" my timing chip. It said that I would be penalized $35 for not returning it. So despite my decision NOT to run the race, I went up to return it. Just so that I'd fit in with everyone, I did dress the part, with couple of technical shirts, gloves, hat and running shoes. Well, I met Jon Walk, Dirt Runner, Kieth Kellerher, Steve Boone, Ken Johnson and countless others. I also met two other readers of my blog and another person who flew in from London to run the race. All that excitement and Dirt Runner suggesting that I try the first 6 mile loop to see how I'd feel.

First 18 miles went very well. It passed in about 4 hours. Then everything went wrong during the last 12 miles. I rolled my right ankle 3 times, stubbed my toes on the roots several times and tripped over roots too many times to remember. I managed not to fall but with about 8 miles to go, got a seriously sharp pain from the groin. So, today, I also learnt what a groin pull feels like.

I crossed the finish line in 7:10, as in 7 hours 10 minutes. Which is kind of funny because when I saw Bill Cox (Humble Runner) at the 18 mile turn around, I was kicking ass and taking names.

Now, sitting in front of my laptop, I feel as if a truck ran over me. I am having difficulty getting up and generally moving about. This feels worse than last year after the first marathon. That and I'm still recovering from the cold. I think that had something to do with fatigue setting in early. I'm sure I'll get better. Now I can say that I ran 50K with a runny nose and an annoying cough. I hope I don't catch pneumonia or something...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Holden, YOU ARE AN ULTRAMARATHONER! Congratulations!

Steeeve

Dirt Runner said...

Until you fall and eat dirt, you will be known as groin pull runner. Great job and it's not about the time, it's about the experience. Welcome to the Dark Side.

JustJunebug said...

oh Holden!! YAY! I mean not all the yukky stuff, but yay for running it afterall!!

around 2pm today i knew that it was probably close to when you would finish and i was frantically searching the internet for times, but could not find any!!

i am one proud blogger to know you!! hope you feel mo betta mo fasta!

Jessica, a Houston Runner said...

Holden-
all that matters is that you DID IT!!

(Something i might never do...)

very proud of you!

bar-bar-a said...

I'm with Jessica, I know I'll never do what you did today - congrats on a huge achievement!

And thanks for spelling Kelleher's name correctly - now can you teach that to him?

equarles said...

wow. i'm in awe. that's awesome that you gutted it out like that. i'm without speech.

Sarah said...

Woooooo, you did it! That is so awesome. I would've bailed 'cause I'm a wuss. Next time I want to bail on something like a 5K, I will ask myself "what would Holden do?"

WalkSports.com said...

Yes, Keith took off and left us on the second 20K loop.

You guys both did well.

Congratulations, Holden, and I'll see you in Willis on Saturday morning.

And thank you for giving Waverly a heads up on my arrival, you were just about right on your estimate. :)

JenKim said...

WOW, Holden....What an incredible accomplishment!!!! 축하합니다!!! Awesome!!

K said...

Very proud of you, Holden. Next year imagine how easy it will be without that cold and cough going on!!

As dirtrunner said, I guess you've crossed over to the Dark Side...

Cassie (TIGGS) said...

rock on Holden!! congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

You da man! You did an outstanding job, especially after seeing all the bloody, wounded people I saw crossing the finish line.

Congrats!
Bill, "wanna-be ultra runner"

Keith said...

Great job Holden!
That race kicked my butt and you did it while sick.

Rock on.
Keith.

TX Runner Girl said...

Wow Holden, I am so impressed...great job!!! I think I probably would have wussed out and mailed the chip in. :-) You are awesome!

Vic said...

Did I understand you right? You just went to the race to turn in your chip because you've been sick? And while you were there, you just decided to run the race anyway.

WOW!!! That's a great running story. One you can tell around the tent for many years to come.

Congratson your race, Holden. That was ultrafrigginfantastic!!!

Anonymous said...

You have acheived what few have. Finished 50 Miles. Great Job