Saturday, November 25, 2006

Holden's Tour de Woodlands

Well, I got my 19 miles in. It happened in reverse order from how I described it in the last post. The very last minute change in the plans were due to unexpected consciousness that descended upon me this morning around 5AM. I was really hoping to sleep in until around 6:30, get my self ready and just jog 3 miles to the RTW race. So rather than tossing and turning, I quickly figured that I could be done with the 13 miler in about 2 hours 10 minutes, putting me about 5 to 10 minutes before the start of the RTW at 8 AM. So with 3 Powergel packs and a 20 oz hand held Amphipod water bottle filled with Clif Electrolite mix, I headed for the door.

Dark foggy world greeted me. It was a bit eerie and in the dark fogginess, the street lights were casting strange shadows. But the wetness and the coolness of the early morning did wonders. The moisture kept my throat from getting dry and the cool moisture kepted my skin temperature under control. So I surmised this morning that high humidity in the 50 degree temperature range is not all that bad.

3 miles into the run, a lady in an Infinity QX56 SUV asked me where Skeeter's was. I think that was where the Woodlands Fit group was meeting today. Hopefully, I gave her good directions. 6 miles into the run, I saw TNT group's water jug. 4 miles later, I saw another one. My route must have overlapped theirs. The sky lightened but the heavy fog stayed. Being blanketed by all that whiteness, I felt I was alone in the world, alone but very peaceful. With 8 minutes to spare, I arrived at the Barbara Bush Elementary School for the RTW race. First person I see when I arrived was non other than Jon Walk. Soon I saw Bill Dwyer, Waverly Walk and Rick Cook.

My secret plan at the 5K was to hang around in the back of the pack, after 13 miles, there was not much left in the tank. Somehow that didn't work out. At the start line, I peppered Rick Cook (our resident Ultra Runner Extraordinaire) about the Sunmart race. He answered all of my questions with such detail and patience that I forgot all about my race strategy. When 1 mile marker came about, I realized I was running at 8:51. We kept on talking and mile 2 came by in 8:36. Holy macaroni! Soon thereafter, I did run out of gas. Rick went ahead and I slowed. Mile 3 came in 9:19, the last 0.1 in 0:55 for a total time of 27:42.

After more post race mingling, I took off for my last leg of the Tour. 3 miles to the house. I had cooled down too much after the 5K, I was shivering when I started the run. First 2 miles went by very well, the weather was still cool, the Sun was trying it's best to burn off the fog and I was running a little too fast for my own good. However, by the 3rd mile, I had to stop twice to take a walk break. I was hungry and tired. I had not eaten anything before leaving the house because I was literally going from bed to the streets as fast as I could. I didn't think solid food right before the long run was going to be a good idea. Anyway, as soon as the stretching was done, I headed straight for the kitchen and ate a bagel with peanut butter, soy milk and a piece of left over ham from Thanksgiving. All in all, a very nice morning run.

Long Run Summary:

13 miles: 2:09:09
Pace: 9:56/mile

RTW 5K:

Mile 1: 8:51
Mile 2: 8:36
Mile 3: 9:19
0.1 Mile: 0:55

Total: 27:42
Pace: 8:56/mile

3 Miles to home: 28:37
Pace: 9:32/mile

Shoes: Asics Gel Kayano XI (231.2 miles)

I noticed that my total miles for this week (I go from Sunday to Saturday) was 42.8 miles. That's a lot of miles for me. Wow.

Next Race: Sunmart 50K. It should be a lot of fun.

7 comments:

Dirt Runner said...

Not eating before long runs are great ultra training. This way your body learns to burn it's own body fat and not carbs. Now during ultras, the best way to run is to eat at every aid station.

jamoosh said...

That's the one thing I dislike about doing a run before a run when I train with Houston Fit - this time of year I get cold inbetween the runs and have to warmup all over again.

bar-bar-a said...

I was wondering yesterday what your mileage would end up at for the week with 2 long runs between Sunday and Saturday. My highest this year was 40 and that was plenty!

I thought November would be my highest mileage month but as it turns out I won't even crack 100 which surprised me. Then again, I didn't do your mileage today either.

Great job!

Dirt Runner said...

here are the maps for Sunmart/RR100

http://www.petroleumwholesale.com/sunmart.web/race/default.aspx

http://www.tejastrails.com/Rocky.html

K said...

Great mileage, Holden. I hope to be there some day!

JustJunebug said...

gosh dang-a-lang Holden!!! you rock!

i did the same thing, meaning I didnt eat before i left for my TdM this morning, but managed a mini shipleys donut before heading out. 2 gu's and 1 pk of sports beans for breakfast over 4 hours made for one hungry junebug!!

great going!!

TX Runner Girl said...

Wow, a 13 mile warm up before a 5K...pretty awesome! Way to go!