Saturday, October 21, 2006

Flags of Our Fathers


I've just finished reading the novel, "Flags of Our Fathers" yesterday. It is a story about a Navy Corpsman who finds himself in the middle of the Battle of Iwo Jima. Iwo Jima stands as the deadliest battle ever experienced by American Military. It eclipses even the Landing of Normandy. Battle for Iwo Jima took over 32 days of non stop fighting on an island that is 5 miles long and 2 miles wide. It is a sad sad story really, most of the soldiers on that island was 18 to 22 years old. The Japanese army of 22,000 was ordered to fight to the death, told to kill 10 Americans before getting killed. The story really isn't about the war but how the veterans of World War 2 suffered and coped with the nightmares long after the war ended.

The movie came out yesterday and after my morning run, I went to watch the matinee. The movie does not do justice to the book, but I think Clint Eastwood did a pretty good job. However, please read the book before you go because a lot of the scenes will make more sense.

Next time you see a Veteran of Foreign War, please thank them for their sacrifices.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hey Holden, I hadn't heard about that movie. My dad served in Korean war and then WWII overseas. I have family in Iraq right now so it hits close to home, ya know?

Vic said...

I was a Navy Corpsman but never saw combat.