Saturday, October 21, 2006

9.1 Miles and then 3.1 Miles

5:30 AM came too early for me today. Why do I feel compelled to wake up earlier on a Saturday than on a Monday? Why o why o why? My life before running would have found me sound asleep on Saturday mornings.

The Woodlands Fit group met in darkness today, proud of it's achievements at last week's 10 miler and looking forward to the Half Marathon next weekend. Coach asked us to take it easy today. A real slow long run. But the weather was too nice for running. It was dark, I didn't know the course so I followed couple of guys who knew their way. Unfortunately for me, they were faster than normal Yellow groupie.

Run Summary:

Distance: 9.1 Miles
Time: 1:21:17
Pace: 8:55/mile

I ran this "slow" run at a faster pace than my 10 miler. Hmmmm. Amazing what fear of getting lost will do to your motivation.

Then in the best Jon Walk tradition, after finishing and catching my breath, I drove over to Barbara Bush Elementary School to run in Run The Woodlands 5K with a minute to spare. I was looking forward to meeting Joe Carey who was driving all the way up from Clear Lake. I found Joe and two friends of his from On The Run group. Suzie Schreiber saw me and promised to walk s-l-o-w-l-y over to the start area to give me enough time to register and pay $1. "Thanks Suzie!!"

Run Summary:

Distance: 3.1 Miles (5K)
Time: 26:33
Pace: 8:33/mile
Shoes: Kayano XI (137.7 miles)

Total Miles for the Day: 12.2 miles.

I feel pretty good about next week's Half Marathon. If the weather stays cool, I am confident of surpassing 9:12 pace I recorded at the 10 For Texas.

No comments: