Saturday, October 14, 2006

10 For Texas

This inaugural race picked a pretty good day to run a 10 miler in the Woodlands. The starting temperature was in the upper 60's (me thinks) and ended in the mid 70's. The sky was slightly overcast and the sun never really affected too many runners. For a first time race, it was organized extremely well, starting with a good traffic management by the police to an excellent post race party afterwards. Food was the best I've experienced. It included lettuce wraps from Pei Wei, to pizza by Incredible Pizza, to subs from Lenny's to Heineken beer to soft tacos etc.

I met a lot of folks today. David Smart was volunteering at the chip desk, and while I was chatting with him, Powerade Pam Pauling of the Houston Striders came by to pick up her chip. During post race festivities, I met Yong Collins of the Striders (she won her age group!!), Jon and Waverly Walk, Tom Stilwell (past HARRA Prez) and Bill Dwyer (TNT).

Race Summary:

Mile 1: 9:07
Mile 2: 9:11
Mile 3: 9:57
Mile 4: 9:26
Mile 5: 9:27
Mile 6: 9:19
Mile 7: 9:01
Mile 8: 9:41
Mile 9: 9:13
Mile 10: 7:27

Elapsed: 1:31:55
Pace: 9:12/Mile

I thought I ran a very consistent pace through out the race and I was told that the course was certified. Therefore, I must deduce that the last mile was shorter and some of the other miles were longer. Either that or I have a smidgen of Kenyan DNA in me and it showed up during the last mile... :)

Between the food and the goodies we received, this has got to be one of the best values in Houston road racing circuit. Check it out next year!

7 comments:

Crosstrain said...

Great run Holden, that's a good result. I hope next year this race won't conflict with a HARRA race. I'll probably do the RTW next weekend so I'll get my Woodlands run in this month!

Bill D said...

Mile 3 was long.

Great seeing you today. Great splits!

jamoosh said...

Good show Holden. Awesome splits!

Bar-Bar-A said...

Way to go Holden! I really was hoping I'd run into you at the Starbucks today after the race by some cosmic connection.

You are quite the speedy out there.

Dave Smart said...

Bill is on target (10:50 mile 3) and I have the same Kenyan blood as Holden (7:10 mile 10) but did a quick final 1/2 mi and would love to think it's all me:) I had a small hand in the passing out chips 1-200...that's a great job if you're a volunteer running the race, and you get to see the people picking theirs up - interestingly, Chip number 3 just signed up 2 weeks ago. A few non-participants came into Lukes afterwards and said they were planning on running next year because of the great time their running friends had.

JustJunebug said...

NO FAIR Y'ALL GOT BEER!!! :O)

Hope to meet you at the Koala Half!

oh and GREAT RUNNING !!

Vic said...

Awesome race Holden. See you in a couple of weeks.