Monday, March 13, 2006

Long Distance Vs. Short Distance Race

After having sampled a variety of distances, I 'm beginning to prefer 2 hour races. For my pace, this translates into 10 miler, half marathon, 20K and 25K races. The shorter distance races are also fun but it's just over too soon. You also get better DPM (dollar per mile) out of longer races. The only exception to this rule is the RTW (Run The Woodlands) 5K series that takes place every 2nd and 4th saturdays. This $1 race is the best bargain in racing.Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

david said...

I concur. I think my best distance is probably 15 miles. Especially if that was what I was training for.

matt said...

i like the DPM...that gives me another justification for training for my first ultra. let's see...$60/50 miles (1.20 per mile)...still, not as good as the 33 cents per mile you can get at the RTW races.

i am also enjoying these middle distances (10-15 miles). i just get more satisfaction.

Dave Smart said...

I like 5K's and 10K's right now (that is, if actually do a 10K race). There may be another marathon in my future, but not sure when.

Jessica, a Houston Runner said...

right now i really like the 10k distance...it's enough of a challenge to where i don't get 'bored' since it's a better part of an hour for me...however i think the 5k distance is growing more on me.

I do enjoy long distances, too though, with the 10 miler over the half marathon from a timing standpoint.