Monday, February 06, 2006

Memorial Park Run

In preparation for the Surfside half marathon, I felt that I needed to find some softer turf than concrete or asphalt to run on. So I headed down to Memorial park for the first time, parked the car by the Smoothie place and took off running. The weather was gorgeous 60 something and I was running as the sun was setting. Simply gorgeous (Did I say that already?). There were a lot of runners running the loop course. I don't know exactly how long this loop is, my guess is that it is either 3 miles or just short of 3 miles. My time to loop the course was 26:10.

I did get a little gravel piece that found it's way into my left shoe. I wonder how much sand will get into my shoes on Saturday. Will his be an issue? Will I have to pull over once in a while to empty the sand? Inquiring minds want to know.

Kayano Miles: 151.3

In the immortal words of PMOA, Rock on!

7 comments:

Keith said...

You raise a good question about sand in your shoes. I should be worrying about that too.

Rock it Up and Rock it Out!
Keith.

Steve Bezner said...

If it becomes bothersome, stop and remove your shoes to empty sand. Of course you could run barefoot!

Seeya on the beach!

JustJunebug said...

Theres a cement block just by the picnic tables there by the Smoothie joint that posts 3 miles...therefore i have ALWAYS assumed that its 3 miles around.

GOOD LUCK ON SURFSIDE!!!!!

Holden said...

If so, then 3 miles it is. I guess I ran well. Although it does beg the question, if you run counterclock wise, you do have to run farther since you are on the outer edge as opposed to clockwise direction. (I ran counterclock wise)

Cassie (TIGGS) said...

The loop is 2.9 miles. If you start at the "0" and run to your right, you will see the miles markers on the ground in 1/4 mile increments. As you pass the "0" on the way back, you have to run past the benches/stretching area and there you will see the "3 mile" marker.

Cassie (TIGGS) said...

The loop is 2.9 miles. If you start at the "0" and run to your right, you will see the miles markers on the ground in 1/4 mile increments. As you pass the "0" on the way back, you have to run past the benches/stretching area and there you will see the "3 mile" marker.

Cassie (TIGGS) said...

I guess I should say "right" if you are not facing the tennis center. You can go either direction from 0 and it is marked, but the only 3 mile marker is past the streching benches.