Thursday, January 12, 2006

First Marathon is like asking a girl out on a first date for the first time

I'm not certain why I cannot treat my first Marathon like any other long distances races I've participated this past year. The Chicago Distance Classic, Space City 10 Miler, Luke's/Strider's 20K, HMSA 25K and Houstonian Lite 30K. Some were tough, some were tougher and all of them were first time distances for me.
I can't really decide what to wear, how much and what kind of food to eat this week, whether I should tape up the pinkie toe or not, if I should wear a long sleeve or not, if I should show up at 5 or 5:30 Sunday morning. Should I get all my running food ready the night before or make 'em fresh on the morning of? All this nervous energy. Kind of feels like the first time I asked the girl of my dreams out on a date, a long long time ago, in a Galaxy far far away. Just this time, I hope she doesn't say no.

5 comments:

WalkSports.com said...

Just make sure that if you bend down to kiss the start - or the finish - line that there's nobody behind you!

Jessica, a Houston Runner said...

you will be fine:) you are so silly, you will rock. i will look for you to run with you the last few miles.
-Jessica

run the race said...

Excellent description. It IS that big of a deal.

The nerves settle down once you actually start running - at least for me they did.

Barbara said...

I'm getting excited for Sunday just from reading your post! You're ahead of the game from where I am. It hadn't crossed my mind yet to think about what I'm wearing, or setting alarms and all that.
One thing I was planning to do is to wear a long-sleeved shirt over whatever I do eventually wear just to keep me comfortable until the race starts.

Good luck on Sunday!

Marathon Blog said...

good luck! i have recently signed up for my first marathon... i know the feeling you're talking about! I look forward to reading how you got on.
Will
http://www.marathonblog.co.uk